Saturday, February 15, 2014

February Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day: Almost Spring

I know that many gardeners are struggling with severe weather on this February Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day, and I sincerely hope that more normal conditions will return soon. (Visit Carol at May Dreams Gardens to see what's in bloom in gardens all over the world.)

Here in zone 9b in California's Central Valley, we are in the middle of the severest drought in modern history. Last week we did receive some welcome rain, although we are still far short of the normal, but after reading other blogs, I think there is no longer a "normal!"

With above normal temperatures through most of this winter, many plants are blooming earlier than "normal" in my garden this year. Here are some photos of what is in bloom on this February Bloom Day: 
Camellia japonica 'Debutante'
Magnolia soulangeana/Saucer Magnolia

Magnolia flowers
Hellebores

Hellebores

Solanum jasminoides 'White Potato Vine'
'White Potato Vine' growing on fence
Hardenbergia
Chaenomeles superba 'Flowering Quince' Texas Scarlet

Geum

Geum closeup

Narcissus blooms.  Tulips are up but no blooms yet.
Leucojum aestivum 'Summer Snowflake'

'Summer Snowflakes almost finished with bloom time
Ipheion 'Spring Starflower'


Narcissus Mini Daffodils
Narcissus/ Daffodils


Daffodils, primroses, violas
primroses, daffodils, cyclamen, violas

Southern Highbush Blueberries Vaccinium

And here are blooms from some of the inside plants. (And I thought I couldn't grow house plants!)

Saintpaulia African Violet
Saintpaulia African Violet
an orchid, a lovely Valentine's gift from Mr S
Wishing you a happy Bloom Day!

14 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I especially like the white Daffodil with the streaky yellow center!
    I do hope you will get enough rain to keep everything growing.
    Lovely Valentine's Day gift!
    Happy Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day!
    Lea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lea. I can't remember the name of the daffodil but they were from the 50% off bin at the hardware store. A good bargain! I'm afraid we will be in for water rationing come summer and that's going to be rough. But it will be even more difficult for the farmers. Some good spring rains would definitely help. We could use some of your snow!

      Delete
  2. I fear my garden will be invaded by insects this year as it wasn't cold enough to kill them off. I've killed grasshoppers throughout this winter. We'll make it through this drought and can say that we were there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maybelline, I thought the cold snap in December would have killed the snails and slugs, but I see they are out in force! In our neighborhood there are a number of homeowners who are having artificial lawns put in. They really don't look too bad, but I think they can be pretty expensive. Yes, we will just get through this drought somehow!

      Delete
  3. How beautiful it all looks.Your garden seems a riot of colour despite the drought. We have been hearing about it on the news. We may be in for drought later in the year. A major source of water for us is the run off from melting snow in the mountains. It is easy to see there is less up there than usual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan. Our farmers depend on the snowpack from the Sierras for irrigation water and there has been little snowfall this year too. I hope Mother Nature does a turn around in both of our areas! This has been a very unnatural year, hasn't it?

      Delete
  4. Hi Dorothy, I always love to see what is blooming in your garden! I am completely smitten with your lush and colorful galvanized container plantings! They are so cheerful and say spring like nothing else. Job well done! I also especially like your camellia 'Debutante' and the pale blueberry flowers. Severe drought or not, lets enjoy our gardens as long as we can! Wishing you a lovely rest of the President's Day weekend!
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Christina, for your kind words. I also enjoy "visiting" your lovely garden! I found the galvanized containers at OSH and had planned to plant veggies in them but changed my mind and decided to just shop at the farmers' markets instead! I may change my mind if the drought causes the prices of veggies to go up much more. I agree that we should enjoy our gardens. Summer could be very challenging! Happy gardening and enjoy your weekend!

      Delete
  5. Lovely blooms to satisfy any gardener. You're right, normal weather seems like it will never be normal again, although our Summer was normal last year, and technically this Winter is normal for what it use to be. We have been spoiled in years past with Winter weather.
    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cher, Hopefully we can all have a beautiful normal spring! I know this winter has been a difficult one for many places in the world. But spring is on the way. I will be looking for posts from your spring garden soon!

      Delete
  6. Those magnolias are beautiful. Also love the Flowering Quince, you have a lot of blooms considering the drought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nicole. The bit of rain we had a week ago certainly refreshed the plants! I always look forward to when the magnolia and quince bloom. They signal that winter is ending! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  7. Oh so much colour, and your magnolia is magnificent. I do hope conditions improve for you Dorothy. I don't know which is worse, too much or too little rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jessica, What a strange winter we have had! A balance would be nice, but there is no controlling Mother Nature. We will just have to make the best of the situation!

      Delete